Monday, September 1, 2008

um, a wedding blog?

This feels weird. I am not the kind of person who writes a wedding blog.

I've never dreamed of a big, white wedding. I've never sighed over diamond rings. I've never clipped pictures out of magazines for the future.

Now, I'm engaged, though, I need to plan a wedding. And it's kind of hard! There are so many people telling you what you need to do and buy and plan. And a lot of them want you to pay them money. My fiance and I don't have a lot of money, and neither do our parents. We'll be paying for most of this ourselves, and so (of course) I've turned to the Internet for help. I've been looking around for wedding blogs to read, but almost all of them are so crazy! Even the ones who talk about budgeting and doing it for a reasonable price say things like, "We saved so much money having the invitations printed instead of getting a calligrapher! And I got my dress on sale for $7,000 so I saved $3,000!"

Um, apart from the alcohol, I'd like to do the whole thing for $1,500. Am I crazy to think that this is a pretty large amount of money to spend on what is essentially a party?

So I've started a blog. Partly because it helps me to write about things. Partly because I hope people will give me feedback and help and ideas. And partly because I want there to be one more place on the net that doesn't encourage the idea that a wedding without hand-dyed linen napkins is no wedding at all.

8 comments:

Jacquie said...

Yay! A wedding blog.

How many doves will you be able to get with $1,500?

Jessica McLeod said...

Jacqui: I can get 5, but we'll have to tie strings to them so we can pull them down and roast them after the ceremony. No waste!

Her said...

don't forget the napkins have to be the same shade as the ribbon on the stretch Hummer wedding car...

sky said...

If you had asked me a week ago if I would ever, ever, been excited about reading a wedding blog, I would have politely inquired if you were on crack.

Now, I am all excited! Especially since you make it sound like a really well-planned and crafty party.

Anonymous said...

Don't let them tell you it can't be done. It CAN be done! You'll just have to get creative! :D

I'll keep my eyes on this site and chime in when I can...Dave's and my wedding was cheap by New York standards, and we broke a lot of rules. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Suzanne said...

Certainly not crazy. I got told once that the quickest way to slice money off a wedding is to let NO ONE who's provide a service (tailoring, catering, barpersons, whatever) know that its a wedding they're dealing with. Apparently that adds an extra few hundred bucks.

But - what do I know. It made sense at the time...

Laura said...

This is a good start for. If you still have plenty of time, just go on searching online. I am also a bride-to-be and we are on the same case. I am trying to be crafty and imaginative. I've seen plenty of affordable ideas at americanbridal.com... you may try to check this site also.

Tom Wong said...

I like flowers too much. I have planted many beautiful flowers in my garden. I think you are also like beautiful flowers too much. I find in your post… you have very good collection of beautiful flowers.i also don’t know the name of some flowers… I was referred to this site by plus . it looked beautiful, then we planted it in our garden and given then some unique name.